I get a lot of inquiries from terrific startup folks around the country. Many mention they will be in Detroit for the day and want to get a good sense of the startup ecosystem. They want to see what Detroit’s entrepreneurial gold rush is all about. To help them, I started sharing a quick guide to Detroit by email and it’s grown over time.
Now, I’m expanding this email into a dedicated blog post for all to enjoy and contribute to. If there are any hot startup locations or must-eat restaurants missing from this list, please leave a comment so I can add them.
So where should a visitor to Detroit go in 24 hours to see our quickly growing startup ecosystem? And what should they eat while they are here?
Here’s what I recommend.
All Around Detroit
- 0700am — Morning run
- Run along the Detroit / Canada border This is the only place in America where you head south into Canada.
- Eastern Market
The largest open-air farmers market in the country. It’s packed on Saturdays during the spring and summer.
- 0830am — Coffee & breakfast
- Astro Coffee
- Detroit Institute of Bagels
- 0915am — Ponyride
Meet the makers. Visit Veronica Scott at the Empowerment Plan and pick up a pair of Detroit-made jeans.
- 1030am — Practice Space
An incubator focused on injecting new life into buildings and businesses in Detroit. Awesome stuff.
- 1145am — Lunch
- BBQ: Slows BBQ
- Sliders: Green Dot Stables
- Sandwiches: Mudgies
- More sandwiches Dime Store
- Coneys: Lafayette or American (my fav is Lafayette)
- Tapas: La Feria
- Mexican: Zenith
- Comfort food: Roses Fine Food
- Cuban: Vicente’s
- Midday coffee: Urban Bean Co.
- 0100pm — Green Garage
Triple bottom line co-working. Incredible space. Formerly a showroom for Model T automobiles in the 1920s.
- 0130pm — Techtown
Non-profit business incubator and accelerator. Great co-working space too.
- 0200pm — Next Energy One of the first research pavilions in the nation to offer access to a smart microgrid and a smart home.
- 0230pm — Shinola American-made watches and bicycles. And now home to the most advanced leather manufacturing plant in the world.
- 0245pm — Willys Curated, American-made goods. Awesome finds from the folks behind Shinola.
- 0300pm — Madison Building Home to Detroit Venture Partners, Draper Triangle, Microsoft Ventures, Ludlow Ventures, Twitterand over a dozen startups.
- 0345pm — Madison Block
One of 7 tech hubs sponsored by Google for Entrepreneurs.
- Grand Circus — Co-working, events, and high-tech educational classes.
- Bizdom — Startup accelerator.
- Detroit Labs — They helped build the iPhone app to order a Domino’s pizza. ‘Nuff said.
- 0430pm — Bamboo Detroit Great co-working space in Detroit. Home to over 50 entrepreneurs and creatives.
- 0500pm — Library Street Collective
Say “hi” to @BenBator, super entrepreneur and Detroit booster.
- 0530pm — D:Hive — All the resources to live, work, and play in Detroit.
- 0600pm — Happy Hour
- Two James Spirits
First distillery in Detroit since Prohibition.
- Motor City Wine Part wine bar, part bargain wine shop. All awesome.
- 0700pm — Dinner
- Farm-to-table: Guns and Butter
- Meat: Roast
- Historic ambiance: Craft Work
- Mexican: El Barzon
- Gastropub: Wright & Company
- 0900pm — Night Cap
- Sugar House Home to the best cocktail in America.
- 1000pm — Sleep
- Westin Book Cadillac
Coming soon. Detroit Fire Department’s historic headquarters to become a hotel fall 2014.